International competition for the architectural and urban planning concept of the "Serp & Molot" factory

The Project's signi—ficance

The projected part of the land “Serp & Molot” industrial zone’s land occupies one of the key places in the capital’s planning structure and enjoys high potential of city-planning development.

The orientation of the city planners’ reorganization of the territory under planning is determined by the rational set of development preconditions:

— close proximity to the city centre and the places which have high historical and cultural significance;
— excellent transport connectivity with the high population zones for living and working;
— the need for ecological rehabilitation of industrially polluted soil;
— a severe underdevelopment of community territories, including an extremely low density of the street and road network and complete absence of recreational green areas;
— a high degree of physical deterioration and building obsolescence.

The result of the city-planning reorganization shall be the formation of an urban environment shaped to the people and spatial surroundings, development of a system of open community spaces and recreational areas, ensuring ecological safety, social attractiveness and economic efficiency of the projected use of the territory as the largest “point of growth” in reorganization of the city’s industrial zone.

Development history of the territory
XVI century

The projected territory was a part of the monastery village of Karacharova, which was located at the Ryazan road.

XVI - XVII century

The territory under study was used mainly as agricultural and pasture lands; no settlements were found in these lands.

XVII century

In the dissociated pasture lands of the village of Karacharova bordering Yauza construction of the Emperor’s residences started.

XVIII century (second half)

In the region of Lefortovo the Prolomnaya outpost was organized.

XIX century (beginning)

In the adjoining territories the first factory facilities are constructed.

XIX - XX century — because of the railroad construction in the region a dense railroad and approach network was constructed, which stimulated development of large industrial facilities located along the Vladimir and Ryazan highway.

1883

In the suburbs of Moscow beyond the Rogozhskaya frontier a French entrepreneur, Yuly Goujon, built small workshops which produced wire and on the basis of which one of the largest plants in the Central Russia was built.
1883

Panorama of the plant in 1894
The pictures are provided by the museum of the “Serp & Molot” plant

1890

The first Martin furnace is commissioned at the plant.

1890

Martin workshop

1913

Seven Martin furnaces were in operation at the plant, which melted more than 90 000 tons of steel a year; the company that time produced mainly simple iron, iron wire, nails, bolts etc.

1918

The plant was nationalized.

1920

In the territory of the plant a large-scale factory construction started.

1922

«at the workers’ request» the plant was renamed «Moscow metallurgical plant “Serp & Molot”».

1931

Since then the plant had been focusing on production of quality steel products.

1934

New buildings of the “Serp & Molot” plant were constructed.

1939

For valiant labour during the first years and successful performance of governmental tasks the plant was awarded with the Order of Lenin.
1939

In the the Great Patriotic War plant produced weapon for front line.

1945

For Services to the Front the plant was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labour.

1945

1949

The company was the first in the world to develop the technology of applying oxygen for raising productivity of Martin steel, for which the group of scientists and workers of the plant were awarded the First Degree State Premium.

1949

The plant’s entrance gate in the 1950s

1970-е

The plant underwent global reconstruction, as a result of which it switched to production of high-quality products from heavily alloyed steel and stainless steel. In those years construction of industrial and warehousing premises continued.

1983

For major success in production of high quality products, enhancement of technical and economic indicators based on the plant’s reconstruction and technical re-equipment, the personnel were awarded the Order of the October Revolution.

In the 1970s the plant underwent global reconstruction, as a result of which it switched to production of high-quality products from heavily alloyed steel and stainless steel.

1990

the volume of the products manufactured by the plant was reduced.

1978

Overall view of the plant, picture by Igor Zadurov

2000

The Third Ring Road crossed the plant’s territory. The Moscow government started thinking how to use the enormous and practically abandoned territory of “Serp & Molot”, and various building projects were developed, though, never implemented.

2007

The Moscow government made a resolution on reorganization of the plant’s production area, according to which it was separated into 12 parts. They included residential neighborhoods, multifunctional community areas, production and warehousing territories and the plant itself.

1990 – the volume of the products manufactured by the plant was reduced.

2013

The Moscow Architectural council considered the project of building on the territory and recommended holding an international tender for development of an architectural and city-planning concept of reorganization of the territory of the “Serp & Molot” plant.

“SERP & MOLOT” today

This is an existing 87 ha production area in close proximity to the historical centre of Moscow. The territory of the “Serp & Molot” plant occupies one of the key positions in the planning structure of the city and has high potential for city-planning development. However, the present use of the territory and development of the zone does not meet the modern city-planning and ecological requirements; the territory is used inefficiently, is not well-equipped or provided with green areas.

The territory of the “Serp & Molot” plant occupies one of the key positions in the planning structure of the city and has high potential for city-planning development.

Reorganization of industrial area is one of the priorities in development of Moscow, and also one of the tools for creating a high quality urban environment. Representing an industrial area, the territory of the “Serp & Molot” plant will be examined in depth, and will become a new example of high quality architectural and city-planning environment. After the reorganization there will be a new city planning unit, namely: residential complexes, office buildings, schools, kindergartens, polyclinics, sport and recreation centre and extensive green zones. In the planning of the territory, transport, architectural and city-planning, as well as ecological factors will be taken into account, and emphasis will be placed on people’s comfort and convenience.

Authorization

Registration

Forgot your password?

Registration form

Captcha Refresh